Guess what? I’m not dead. Hooray!
- Read every day. Yep.
- Blog every day. Nope.
- Exercise every day. A world of no.
- Brush my teeth twice every day. Kind of.
Here’s a quick rundown of how I spent the last two weeks (some of these things will get their own blog posts eventually): saw Kevin Devine and Manchester Orchestra, flew home for approximately 48 hours for niece and Easter, attempted to recover from the lack of sleep occasioned by the aforementioned show and trip, packed up all the shit in my house and moved it to my parents’ house, tried to recover from that, sold my house (signed on the dotted line and everything), and finished my temp job. It’s kind of a lot, right? Especially for me. So, yeah, that’s why I didn’t blog. It’s also why I’m going to go to sleep in about five minutes.
I got very excited when I heard Dashboard Confessional on my ride home this evening. But, after my initial excitement, I found myself yelling “it’s still not Brand New, though” at the radio. Still, I was glad to hear “Hands Down.”
The last time I remember hearing Brand New on SiriusXM I was driving to the job I quit before I started grad school. That was a long time ago. Meanwhile, Alt Nation is shoving new bands down my throat so hard that I get sick of them within two weeks (see: Gemini Club, Skaters, and Knox Hamilton; I’ve started turning the channel every time the Junior Prom song comes on just so I don’t get sick of it too quickly). There’s got to be a happy medium. I think a channel devoted to 2000s alt rock (think Lithium meets Pop2K) would be a good place to start.
I have a pretty good sunburn on my left arm. I forgot that you can get sunburned while driving with the window down because it’s 80 degrees in April. I know I’ve said this before, but the weather really is my favorite part of this place. (In case it’s unclear, I’m not complaining about the sunburn; I enjoy gorgeous summer days in the middle of April.)
I’m gonna hate myself in the morning, but right now I really don’t care.
I was going to do my postponed Friday list today, but then I wasn’t going to because of baseball-induced depression, but that was followed by baseball-induced euphoria, so I’m doing my not-Friday list after all 🙂
- I made a Spotify playlist so that one day I can tell my niece the songs I was all about on the day she was born. Is that weird? I don’t care. http://open.spotify.com/user/kristininprogress/playlist/6pDpsOqIabs0yQTX5LKgHz
- Speaking of my newborn niece, I need to forward this Deadspin piece to my brother.
- I’m conflicted about whether I should share this. For very weird reasons. (Obviously.) On the one hand, I find the scene’s continuing fascination with the 13-year-old Brand New/Taking Back Sunday feud endlessly amusing. Plus, I learned something from the feature (assuming, of course, that it is accurate). However, I take issue with the conclusion that Brand New still has a beef since they always say no to touring with Taking Back Sunday. Brand New hardly ever tours. Brand New has shown that they aren’t particularly motivated by money. Perhaps these proposed tours have been inconveniently timed. I realize I’m writing a lot of words about something stupid and ultimately inconsequential, but I can’t get over how ridiculous it is to conclude that Brand New still has beef based on something Taking Back Sunday’s drummer said about Brand New (in a Reddit AMA, for God’s sake).
- And just so I don’t end this list on a weird note, AP’s 10 commandments of show-going are spot-on.
I have a wicked headache that just came out of nowhere. There will be no Friday listing; there will only be sleeping.
My brand new niece was born 80 minutes ago, but I’m not supposed to talk about her on the Internet yet. It’s a good thing my brother said something, too, because I was planning my Facebook status 🙂
The rest of today pretty much sucked, too, but baby news turned it around.